SISD #46 - Diversity in 2021 with Jimi Vaughn
- Diversity Inclusion Today vs. The Future - We’re resistant to the discomfort of this topic, and only now are we starting to embrace varied identities more.
- We All Have Biases - They exist implicitly and explicitly, and it’s important to acknowledge that some biases affect others in unintended ways
- Setting Definitions - We use the same terms but they don’t carry the same meaning for two different people
- “When we talk about race and uncomfortable conversations, we really look for every opportunity to avoid them.”
- “Everybody has biases and categories in our mind. We create categories to create shortcuts to meaning.”
- “We didn’t know there was another way. Our increased frame of reference increases our ability for empathy.’
- “Not every conversation is worth the energy you spend on it.”
- “You don’t have to convince everybody, you just have to convince enough.”
Jimi is an expert in diversity and workplace ethics, and has worked for more than a decade with top global brands to implement more equitable inclusion strategies. You’ll notice pretty quickly that this conversation won’t be painful like your typical HR program, Jimi has a really sensitive way of helping people communicate about difficult topics and leave conversations with more empathy, understanding, and most importantly, outcomes.