SISD #56 - Thinking and Doing Differently with Matthew Zachary
- The Availability of Confirmation Bias - Social media and the internet has given us exposure to so much information that we have a natural tendency to hone in on what validates our beliefs
- Mindsets Having Beat Brain Surgery - With a “nothing-to-lose” mentality you don’t need to accept things as they are, which inspires more curiosity.
- Disruption - Someone needs to do something different in order for things to be different, and systems are designed to keep things the same.
- “You tend to become something you didn’t expect to be when’s a bad thing happens to you.”
- “I think curiosity is analogous to chutzpah and moxie.”
- “Never give someone what they want, give them something what they never knew they wanted or needed.”
Matthew was diagnosed with brain cancer in his early 20s and after recovering, committed himself to providing support for other people with a cancer diagnosis at a young age. He founded the Cancer Sucks movement, and with his “tell it how it is” style, he has given a voice for many patients. Matthew has spent many years inspiring people on stage, through various features and publications, and on the radio. He is the founder of Offscrip Media and a leader in patient advocacy space.