SISD #50 - Creativity with Shane Snow and Allen Gannett
- Defining Genius - Genius is thought to be something you’re born with, when in reality it’s something that is earned and worked toward until it’s in a place to be labeled as genius.
- The Eternal Nature of Storytelling - Stories are extremely meaningful to us, and that has developed because of the evolutionary advantages pertinent to sharing information that historically helped keep us alive.
- Order and Disorder - They’re both requirements for good art, but they play different roles to allow the piece to come together
- “The liberal use of the word ‘genius’ is a form of giving ourselves permission not to try and not to fail.”
- “Our drive for the familiar is for safety recognition, and our drive for the novel is a reward-seeking behavior.”
- “Sometimes when you fail it’s because of luck, sometimes when you fail it’s because you made the wrong decisions, but often times it’s both.
Allen Gannett was the CEO and Founder of Track Maven, a marketing analytics company. He is also the author of the book "The Creative Curve".
Shane Snow is the Founder and CEO of Contently, a leading content marketing platform, as well as the author of 3 incredible books: "Smartcuts", "Dream Teams", and "The Storytelling Edge".