SISD #47 - How To Make An Impact with Tammy Tibbetts
- Your Unique Contribution - The way you best serve the world is specific to you and your history and experiences interacting with that cause
- Perspective As A Changemaker - It’s important to approach those you’re serving as a partner, allowing yourself to understand how your privilege informs your biases
- Band Aids Vs. Systems Solutions - There are urgent, short-term ways to offer aid to alleviate suffering, but that needs to be paired with long-term solutions to ensure that the future will be better
- Your Dash - With reference to the dash between the day you’re born and the day you day, what do you do that is meaningful to the world and the values you move forward.
- “Don’t let anyone tell you what you should do because in my experience those are the people who aren’t doing very much.”
- “We all have a younger version of ourselves inside of us who, if we just listen to that voice, gives us the courage to do the things as an adult that we wouldn’t have the courage to do otherwise.”
- “In order to create the world we want to live in we need a combination of working at scale and working inside of our own homes.”
Tammy is the co-founder of She’s The First, a non-profit dedicated to teaming up with women-led, grassroots organizations to make sure girls globally are educated, respected, and heard. What started as a social media campaign in 2009 has grown into an international movement that has helped over 130,000 girls in 26 countries, and has 200 campus chapters dedicated to furthering the cause. To share what she’s learned in the last decade of her work, Tammy co-authored a book titled “Impact - A step by step plan to create the world you want to live in”.